The continuing globalization of higher education is inevitable in an ever-interconnected and interdependent mobile world. HKU is strategically situated in China with qualities and attributes required by the international academic community. The dynamic HKU campus is a fertile ground to foster future leaders with global acumen while committed to upholding the plurality of the Hong Kong society and its distinctiveness. Not only are we providing opportunities for our students and staff in Hong Kong, we are preparing them to apply their talents and to be successful anywhere.
As articulated in the document "Asia's Global University, HKU: the next decade, our vision for 2016 -2025" viz. "3+1 Is": Internationalisation, Innovation, and Interdisciplinarity converging to create Impact, "Internationalisation" is not an end in itself but a path to augment University's core mission. To do so, we will synergise our rich Mainland and international strengths, experiences, and networks to augment opportunities for everyone in teaching & learning, research, and knowledge exchange. We are commited to diversity, inclusiveness, and dispersing the benefit of internationalisation locally and globally.
Enhance Global Opportunities
Leverage existing HKU talents, assets, and programmes with strategic partners consist of peer universities, alumni, industry, and community partners to enhance student learning and career options and to explore new opportunities to augment research enterprise.
- Increase utility and activity of programmes with partners
- Increase number of research projects and student learning options with substantial international component
- Increase number of double degree programmes, grant applications, knowledge generation, dissemination, and implementation with Mainland and international partners
- Establish a set of international core competencies for students and staff
Diversify International Portfolio
Strengthen and diversify HKU international programme portfolio that is faculty-driven while ensuring campus relevance, academic excellence, program sustainability, and local connectedness.
- Increase number of trans-disciplinary activities with international partners and tackle global issues that are connected locally
- Update university policies to reflect our global vision
Promote Campus Diversity
Promote campus international and cultural diversity while ensuring a strong sense of community.
- Increase the diversity of our student body
- Implement campus activities to promote diversity awareness, empowerment, and integration
Amplify Global Engagement
Promote HKU branding, alumni engagement, and ranking by amplifying global engagement, international reputation, and societal impact.
- Advance international visibility and presence
- Increase online activities, outlets and social media presence
We aspire to be “Asia’s Global University” and our efforts in Mainland China have resulted in positive outcomes in research, teaching, and outreach. Going forward, we set our bars even higher and our sights further.